The proofreading manager Mimi (who I’m friendly with) at my last job told me last Monday that a full-time proofreading position would soon open up in the company and I should submit my resume. I talked it over with my husband last weekend and we came to the conclusion that right now, with my mental health state, it’s probably better that I stick to my part-time freelancing schedule.
Well, I got an e-mail from Mimi this afternoon saying that she submitted my resume to HR for me today and I’ll probably get a phone call from one of the HR assistants. I’d previously expressed enthusiastic interest in coming back to the company as a proofreader since I don’t mind that type of work (and it’s what I get paid nice bucks to do right now). But I was hoping that a proofreading position would open up in later on in the future, like oh say, six months from when I left (that would be August). I can’t fault Mimi for doing what she did; I told her I was interested in the position. But now, I’m not. And since the people in HR know me and know I’ve done good work, I’m likely to get a call back sometime next week for an interview. Now, I don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m in an awkward position.
(Image from UK Gizmodo)
I haven’t officially committed to working for the ad agency (there’s no contract) but it offers me:
- flexible hours,
- the ability to blog at work during my downtime (remember the lack of blogging that occurred with my last job?),
- and the comfort of being able to slip into my car to get away for lunch during a hectic afternoon.
However, at what I’ll call ABC Corporation, I get:
- nice, nice, nice and cheap health insurance (to the tune of $120/month for me AND my husband);
- subsidized monthly travel ($110 out of $163);
- a steady paycheck every 2 weeks (more reliable than 30-day invoicing);
- a W-2 (none of this expensive accountant stuff);
- and I’m able to pick back up with the established friendships and working relationships that I already have.
The travel thing is especially enticing since we’re down to one car,
and in addition to dropping my husband off at work (3 miles down the
road), I drive about a total of an estimated 22 miles roundtrip to work
three days a week. With gas prices, I could save us a TON of money by
booking it on the train again while my husband travels 6 miles
roundtrip — a 10-minute (or less) commute each way.
However, Bob doesn’t like the idea of me going back to corporate America:
- the business-casual dress (more on the business side, though),
- the stuffy atmosphere,
- the pretentiousness,
- the favoritism,
- the early days and long nights. (I’m not sure what he’s talking
about since my days are about as long three days a week now. [9 am–6
So now I’m stuck with the decision of:
- declining an interview and risking a good relationship with Mimi, or
- accepting the interview and getting offered the position.
I don’t like either option, frankly. Maybe I’m being too confident
but I’m pretty sure if I showed up to the interview with an updated resume and
(re)dazzled all the managers I worked with, I’d
be offered the position. Even more so now that I’m more qualified to
work as a proofreader now than when I left on that Leap Day. (It’s
amazing how three months changes things.) I could be lazy during the interview or show up with jeans but I don’t want to be unprofessional either. (sigh)
If I go, there will be trouble,
If I stay, it will be double.
So you gotta let me know,
Should I stay or should I go?
— The Clash, “Should I Stay or Should I Go” —