Saturday Stats

"Studies show that at least 75 percent of the antidepressant effect is a placebo effect — the positive response that people have to any treatment that they hope or think will work. But the remaining 25 percent of the positive result may be caused by the ‘active placebo’ effect — which is related to the fact that the antidepressants, unlike placebos, have noticeable side effects that convince the subjects that they are getting ‘strong’ or ‘real’ medicine." — Breggin & Cohen, "Your Drug May Be Your Problem"

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Jude said,

    May 5, 2007 at 7:11 pm

    Since it took about two years for anything to work, I told my shrink that perhaps it was my natural skepticism which made me resistant to the placebo effect.

  2. Jon said,

    May 7, 2007 at 9:37 pm

    If it works, does it matter why it works?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: